I love beets.
The only time I don’t love beets is when I make 1200 mL of Beet Juice and spill it allllll over my kitchen at 5:45 in the morning.... when I have to be out of the house at 6am.
Last Friday morning was like a murder scene (red EVERYWHERE!), and while it was not the best way to start my day, I got through it and the kitchen is back to being pristine.
In any case, I thought the only thing that will keep me on the beet-wagon after THAT ordeal, is to know how amazingly healthy beets are for me.
Here we go:
- Low in fat and calories and thus easy to add to salads etc without changing the integrity of the dish
- Can satisfy a sugar craving without harming your body
- Contain sodium, magnesium, calcium, iron and phosphorus- Beets are great to eat after exercise in that they will replenish sodium levels and help muscles heal
- Contain Vitamins A, C and Niacin
- Good source of fiber- protection against colon cancer
- Protect against heart disease
- Protects against liver disease by lessening fatty acids in your liver
- Nitrates in beets help lower blood pressure almost immediately