Welcome to FitnessJunkie! Be motivated daily with challenging workouts, diet tips, or just the inspiration to be the healthiest you possible!
Friday, January 25, 2013
Cashew/Date/Chocolate Energy Bars
Last night I whipped these bars up for Troy’s upcoming hike with 5 of his friends. And when I say “whipped”, I mean I did it in like 30 minutes. It was very easy.
There is no baking involved which is always a plus.
Here is what you need:
1.5 cups raw cashews
1/4-1/2 tsp fine grain sea salt (I used 1/2 tsp)
1 cup tightly packed pitted dates
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
4 tbsp mini dark chocolate chips (or simply chop larger pieces of chocolate)
2 tbsp flax seeds
1. Recipe states: “Soak dates if they are stiff or dry for about 30-60 minutes” (mine were a bit stiff and I soaked them for about 5 minutes… that is how I roll). Drain well and pat dry before use.
2. Add cashews and salt into a food processor and process for 5-10 seconds.
3. Add in the pitted dates and process until the mixture comes together 15-30 seconds. The mixture should stick together easily when you squeeze it between your fingers. If it doesn’t stick or it’s still a bit crumbly, add a very small amount of water (1 tsp at a time) and process it again.
4. Add the vanilla, flax seeds and chocolate and pulse until combined.
5. Recipe states: “Line an 8-inch square pan with 2 pieces of parchment paper, one going each way (this makes it easier to lift out)”… I don’t have parchment paper so used saran wrap. Place mixture in the pan and press down starting in the center so that it spreads out. The more you pack it down the better the bars will hold together. “Roll out with a pastry roller if you have one”… I definitely DON’T. Things seem fine.
6. Freeze for at least 15 minutes and then slice into 10-12 bars. Wrap in plastic wrap or tin foil and store in the fridge or freezer. Feed to your loved ones J